SEO, Page Rank, Hacks and Joomla 1.5

When the site eemae.com came online, Joomla 1.5 was still in the beta stage, thus the decision was to use Joomla 1.x. I have used a third party script to implement "Search Engine Friendly" URL.

In a few months, the site received "Page Rank 5" from Google until it was decided to upgrade to Joomla 1.5. I noticed that the website page rank started to deteriorate. I tried to implement several SEO methodologies including submission to several search engines where all I got was spam emails.

All my efforts were unsuccessful until now as the page rank of http://eeame.com is now zero.

Lately, I tried comparing Joomla 1.X and Joomla 1.5. I found out that in Joomla 1.5, the page title except the home page does not include the configuration file "Site Name" variable. In Joomla 1.X, the "Site Name" is always a part of the page title as a prefix.

Is this an intentional omission by the Joomla developers? Or the developers of Joomla missed it?

I have searched the Joomla forum but there has been no concrete solution to the issue. I have found a solution myself.

To include the "Site Name" on all pages, I did some hacks on the Joomla Core. I should not be doing this but I am already desperate on to increase the website page ranking.

This hack may not be the best solution but it worked for me and I want to share it to others.

Search for the file head.php under the "libraries/joomla/document/html/renderer" folder. Search for this line

$strHtml .= $tab . '' . htmlspecialchars($document->getTitle()) . '' . $lnEnd;

And replace it withe the following

// SEO Hack
// declare a new configuration variable
$config = new JConfig();
// do not add the site name on the Frontpage
if(( $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] == '/') || ( $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] == '' ) ) $site_name = '';
else $site_name = $config->sitename . " - ";
// Modifiled version
$strHtml .= $tab . '' . $site_name . htmlspecialchars($document->getTitle()) . '' . $lnEnd;

This hack will include the Site Name is all pages separated by the character "-" (replace this with any character you want).

Update: This hack has been updated.

About the Author

Ver Pangonilo
A Filipino Engineer, Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) - Australia and Professional Electrical Engineer (PEE) - Philippines with extensive experience in concept select, front-end engineering, HV & LV detail design, construction and commissioning of Hazardous and Non-Hazardous Area electrical installations in water and waste water pipeline and pumping facilities, offshore platforms, hydrocarbon process plants and pipelines including related facilities. Hazardous area classification and design certification (UEENEEM015B, UEENEEM016B, UEENEEM017B).
  • Theola Mazella

    Good day i was wondering are profile backlinks worth it? in getting your site ranked higher

  • Ver

    I truly don’t understand why Joomla! don’t incorporate this in their core codes. This issue has been there since the beginning of J1.5.

  • Hope this add comment correctly , code to add is:

    sitename;

    // get doc and docs title
    $mydoc =& JFactory::getDocument();
    $mytitle = $mydoc->getTitle();

    // update title
    $mydoc->setTitle($site_name.’ – ‘.$mytitle);

    ?>

  • Thank you for hack. I do not want to mess the default files so did this little bit differently.

    The more permanent way is to add code to your page-template and not mess with Joomla default and updatable files. Just add code just after usual:

    <?php
    // Prevent direct access sans Joomla!:

    in template. Code to add (edit for your liking):

    sitename;

    // get doc and docs title
    $mydoc =& JFactory::getDocument();
    $mytitle = $mydoc->getTitle();

    // update title
    $mydoc->setTitle($site_name.’ – ‘.$mytitle);

    ?>

  • karetta

    any updates coming ?

  • it work

    Thanks, it really work after some minor editing and adjustment

  • Ver

    Hi weebit,

    I have used this hack so I know it works.

    You mentioned about this line
    if(( $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’] == ‘/’) || ( $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’] == ” ) ) $site_name = “;
    If you copied the code in my post directly and pasted it, Windows has a bad habit of replacing apostrophe with tilde. Make sure you have corrected this problem.

  • weebit

    I saved it in a text file, and checked every Character to make sure it copied over ok. I will give it a run again this evening.

  • weebit

    Darn it… It did not work. said there was a extra “;” on line 89. I don’t know line 89 from 85. Loaded into a text editor and it says the line in question is:

    if(( $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’] == ‘/’) || ( $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’] == ” ) ) $site_name = “;

    so I removed the end “;” because it is the only one on that line, but then I got a new error.

  • Pingback: tentatives verlinken - seo blog()

Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com